Qatayef Asafiri (Middle Eastern Dessert)
Views : 67517
- 1 Cup = 200ml
For the Qatayef and cream filling
- All purpose flour – 1 ¼ cup
- Semolina – 5 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp + 2 tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Yeast – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Orange blossom water – 1 tsp (optional)
- Warm water – 1 ½ cup (little more or less to make a smooth batter)
- Thick cream/ puck cream – 1 cup
- In a deep bowl, combine together all purpose flour, semolina, 1 tbsp sugar, baking powder and yeast. To this add oil, orange blossom water and warm water and combine well to make a smooth batter. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat a non stick pan and pour a small ladle of batter to make a pancake. When the top of the pancake form bubbles and becomes just cooked on top, remove from the pan and keep it covered. Prepare 12 – 15 pancakes with the remaining batter and keep covered.
- When cooled to room temperature, take the pancake one by one and fold to half, and press the sides half way to seal it (to get the shape as in the picture).
- In a deep bowl, combine together cream and 2 tsp sugar. Fill the half way sealed pancakes with little cream mixture and garnish with pistachios and saffron. Serve warm or cooled with simple syrup.
For the simple syrup
- Sugar – 1 ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Orange blossom water – 1 tsp
- Rose water – ½ tsp
- For making the sugar syrup, add 1 ½ cup sugar and 1 cup water in a pan and bring to boil, reduce the flame and add lemon juice to it. Heat it for another 8 – 10 minutes. Add rose water and orange blossom water, combine and remove from flame.
Note : *Make sure to keep the pancakes covered as soon as it is moved from the pan or else it will get dried up. *Nestle cream can also used instead of thick cream or puck cream. *If orange blossom water is not available, use only rose water.
All trademarks, recipes and names are our properties. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the sanaa's recipe note book's