Znoud - el - Sit (Lebanese Dessert)
Views : 4850
- 1 Cup = 200ml
- Bread slices – 7 – 8
- Thick cream – 125 ml
- 3. All purpose flour – 3 tbsp (mixed with little water to make a thick paste, to seal the sides of the bread)
- Sugar – 1 ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Rose water – ½ tsp
- Orange blossom water – ½ tsp
- Pistachio (powdered) – 2 - 3 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – for deep frying
- Removes the sides of the bread slices and flatten it with a rolling pin. Apply the all purpose flour paste on the long sides and also on one short side.
- Add about ½ tbsp cream at the end of the other short side of the bread (where the flour paste is not applied) and carefully roll it. Press the sides of the rolled bread lightly to seal the opening. Repeat the process with the remaining bread slices and cream and freeze it for an hour.
- For making the sugar syrup, add 1 ½ cup sugar and 1 cup water in a pan and bring to boil, reduce the flame and add lemon juice to it. Heat it for another 8 – 10 minutes. Add rose water and orange blossom water, combine and remove from flame.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium flame and fry the frozen bread rolls in batches with the sealed side at the bottom. When it starts changing the colour, turn the sides and fry till golden brown. Remove from the oil and move it to a kitchen towel and remove excess oil.
- Dip these fried bread sticks in sugar syrup and garnish with pistachios. Serve warm or cooled.
Note : *Here nestle cream or puck cream can be used instead of thick cream. 8Do not over fill the bread with cream in the bread as it may ooze out while frying. *Orange blossom water is used for flavoring just like rose water. *Make sure to freeze the bread slices after filling, so that it will not take in much oil while frying. *The oil should not be too hot while frying as the bread will turn brown easily and also the oil should not be over low flame as the bread will take in a lot of oil. *This can be served warm or cooled.
All trademarks, recipes and names are our properties. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the sanaa's recipe note book's