Steamed Rice Cake Layered With Prawns/ Puttu Layered With Prawns
Views : 49852
- 1 Cup = 200ml
For the rice cake/ puttu
- Parboiled rice – 1 ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup (for drizzling)
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the cleaned rice in water for about 5 – 6 hours or overnight. Drain the water completely and spread the rice in a cloth or paper for about 2 hours to remove the excess water.
- Grind it to a coarse powder, in batches, in a grinder and keep it ready.
- Heat enough water in a pressure cooker with lid and let it boil. Fill the ground rice flour in the cylindrical puttu maker (steamed rice cake maker) and place it over the pressure cooker, and let it cook till the steam come out of it. Move the steamed rice flour to a deep bowl. Repeat the process till all the ground rice flour is steamed.
- Add enough salt to 1 cup of water and combine well. Drizzle this all over the steamed rice flour little by little and combine evenly.
For the prawn masala
- Prawns (cleaned) – 300 gram (cut to small pieces)
- Onion – 4 (chopped)
- Green chili – 1 (chopped)
- Crushed ginger garlic – 2 tsp
- Tomato – 2 (chopped)
- Red chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Black pepper powder (freshly ground) – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 8 – 10 leaves
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion and little salt and saute till soft. Add chopped green chili and crushed ginger garlic and curry leaves and saute till the raw smell disappear.
- To this add chopped tomato and saute till soft. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and black pepper and saute till the raw smell disappear.
- Add the prawns to this and combine evenly. Cook over low flame till cooked completely (without adding water), stirring occasionally. Add coriander leaves, combine and remove from flame. Keep it ready.
- Coconut (grated) – 1 ½ cup
- Make a thin layer of coconut in the puttu maker with little grated coconut, then little prepared prawn masala, then ahand full of rice flour, again a thin layer of coconut, again prawn masala, repeat the process till it is filled completely. Cover the rice flour on top with grated coconut and place it again over the pressure cooker. Cook till the steam comes out (it will take about 10 minutes). Repeat the process to make more steamed rice cake with prawns. Serve hot.
All trademarks, recipes and names are our properties. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the sanaa's recipe note book's