Kootu Curry (Onam Sadya Special)
Views : 59127
- 1 Cup = 200ml
- Coconut (grated) -1 cup
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Ginger – 2 small pieces
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Water – ¼ cup
- Grind grated coconut with the remaining ingredients in a grinder and keep it ready.
- Bengal gram/ kadala – 1 cup (soak in water overnight)
- Raw banana (plantain) – 2 (peel and cut to pieces)
- Elephant yam – 200 gram (cut to pieces)
- Green chili – 2 (chopped)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp + ¼ tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 – 1 ½ tsp
- Crushed ginger – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 ½ cup + 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cook the soaked bengal gram/ kadala with ¼ tsp turmeric powder, little salt and 1 ¼ cup water in a pressure cooker. Remove it from the pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Cook the raw banana and elephant yam with green chili, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, black pepper powder, crushed ginger, little salt and 1 cup water in the same pressure cooker.
- Add the cooked Bengal gram/ kadala to the pressure cooker with the cooked raw banana and yam and combine well.
- Add the ground coconut to this and combine well. Cook this over low flame till thick. Remove from flame.
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Dried red chili – 2
- Curry leaves – 10 – 12 leaves
- Coconut (grated) – ¼ cup
- Oil (preferably coconut oil) – 3 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add dried red chili and curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Add grated coconut to this, saute for 2 minutes and remove from flame. Add this to the prepared kootu curry and combine well. Serve hot.
All trademarks, recipes and names are our properties. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the sanaa's recipe note book's