Steamed Rice Cake/ Puttu With Homemade Rice Powder
Views : 59888
- 1 Cup = 200ml
- Parboiled rice – 1 ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup (for drizzling)
- Coconut (grated) – 1 ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the cleaned rice in water for about 5 – 6 hours or overnight. Drain the water completely and spread the rice in a cloth or paper for about 2 hours to remove the excess water.
- Grind it to a coarse powder, in batches, in a grinder and keep it ready.
- Heat enough water in a pressure cooker with lid and let it boil. Fill the ground rice flour in the cylindrical puttu maker (steamed rice cake maker) and place it over the pressure cooker, and let it cook till the steam come out of it. Move the steamed rice flour to a deep bowl. Repeat the process till all the ground rice flour is steamed.
- Add enough salt to 1 cup of water and combine well. Drizzle this all over the steamed rice flour little by little and combine evenly.
- Now make a thin layer of coconut in the puttu maker with little grated coconut, then add a hand full of rice flour, again a thin layer of coconut, repeat the process till it is filled completely. Cover the rice flour on top with grated coconut and place it again over the pressure cooker. Cook till the steam comes out (it will take about 6 – 8 minutes). Repeat the process to make more steamed rice cake (puttu). Serve hot with Kadala Curry (Bengal Gram Curry)
Note : Makes about 3 sets of soft and tasty puttu. It also goes well with chicken, mutton or beef curry. Recipe of Kadala Curry (Bengal Gram Curry) already added in the website.
All trademarks, recipes and names are our properties. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the sanaa's recipe note book's